Thursday Afternoon at Walgreens

Yesterday afternoon my dog Ellie and I took my mom to Walgreens on Julian Avenue here in Thomasville for a 230 appointment for a flu vaccine. She was inside for a really long time. She wasn't given ANY of the normal paperwork they are legally obligated to give regarding any vaccine that you are given, let alone a receipt. She said they told her that there was a glitch in their online system, and they couldn't see any information that people had put online, so she had to fill it out again.
She also said that she heard the pharmacy staff tell people that it would be a 16 hour wait for any prescriptions that were dropped off, and that at least 2 customers told her that they were moving their prescriptions to other pharmacies. At the same time they were making vaccination customers with scheduled appointments wait over an hour, the pharmacy staff said that your appointment was cancelled if you weren't already there at the exact minute of your appointment time. Although how they would truly have known, given the amount of disorganization is beyond me.
On our way home, she asked me if I would mind turning around and going back to the pharmacy to ask them for the papers that she should have received, which I did. My mom uses a walker and rather than her having to go back inside the store(she was already tired for the length of the wait for her vaccination), I took her photo I'd and went inside myself for the paperwork. The line to pick up prescriptions at the pharmacy had 6 people in it, and the drive-thru outside had two lines of cars. I chose to go to the window where prescriptions could be dropped off, and the pharmacist might answer any medication questions that customers had, and asked a woman for my mom's paperwork. She agreed to print it for me, noting that my mom should have been given it. 
While I was standing there waiting for her to print it, I saw prescriptions with names and addresses scattered on the counter, and clearly visible to anyone who stood at the window. The alphabetical bins where they usually keep prescriptions that are waiting for pickup were overflowing, and there were several plastic crates sitting in the pharmacy floor filled with them, as well. 
So much protected health information....
One of the two main registers at the front of the store had a sign posted: please use the other register; the pinpad at this one isn't working.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making Spiced Sugar

This Afternoon

Wednesday with Camille